Online Summary Database
Note that this database was transferred from the previous site. Summaries from 1988-1990 and 2012 to 2016 are available to view online by clicking on a date in the right-hand menu.
- Download a pdf of all summaries from 1991-2011 (PDF 6.8 MB)
To search across all summaries in this database that are currently available online click on the button below and type in the key word(s)/search terms. (TIP: to search a section number type in, for example, s 238 o and click search.)
If a case summary is attributed to a legal publisher you should locate the full judgment via that publisher's company. Unattributed summaries have been prepared by the Office of the Principal Youth Court Judge.
To request a judgment that is contained in the Youth Court Summaries (note: pre-2016 only) contact the office of the Principal Youth Court Judge on (04) 914 3446 or click on the button below to send a request to the Principal Youth Court Judge's Clerk.
The Office of the Principal Youth Court Judge would like to extend its thanks to those who contributed to the development of this database, in particular:
- Previous Research Counsel Rhonda Thompson, Tim Hall, Tracey Cormack, Linda McIver, Emily Bruce, Sacha Norrie and Kate Peirse-O'Byrne.
- Ms Margaret Gifford, Senior Solicitor, Child Youth and Family Services, Christchurch and Chris Richardson, Judicial Libraries Team, Ministry of Justice.
- Matthew Crooymans, previous Judgment Publication Assistant for the Family and Youth Courts.
- The Webteam at the Ministry of Justice, in particular Dylan Neal, Shane Hooper and Ana Medina.
The old database is also able to be accessed using the National Library archived version of the previous Ministry of Justice website.
To access the database go to Courts>Youth Court>Legislation and Decisions.
- Access Youth Court Summaries. Note: this link will take you to the archive site as stated above and you will need to navigate from the Home Page by clicking Courts> then clicking Youth Court> then click Legislation and Decisions.
This database contains an archive of Youth Court case summaries from 1988 until March 2016.